Having a swimming pool in your backyard or commercial establishment isn’t all fun and games. A swimming pool that is not optimally maintained will paint your property in poor light. It supports the growth of microorganisms that will leave the pool dirty and make it a breeding ground for a range of conditions.
Poor maintenance also hastens the deterioration of your pool’s construction materials. As such, you might have to hire professional pool repair in Keller more frequently than usual. This isn’t only costly, but the frequent repairs can weaken your swimming pool equipment, as well.
Periodic cleaning is essential to guarantee the integrity of your pool construction materials and the sanitation of your pool. One of the services professional pool cleaners do is pool shocking or raising the chlorine level of the pool.
Sometimes, you will detect a strong odor from your pool even if the water looks clean. This odor is generally linked to chloramines that accumulate in your water when urine, oils, and sweat mix with chlorine. Chloramines can irritate the skin and respiratory system. Thus, shocking your pool is a must. You can use one of the products below.
Calcium hypochlorite is the most readily available choice for disinfecting your pool. Most calcium hypochlorite agents on the market contain 65 to 75% chlorine. Mix this into your swimming pool after dusk to avoid its denaturing by sun rays. The pool will be safe for swimming after about eight hours of shocking with calcium hypochlorite. The product adds calcium levels of 0.8ppm to your pool water, so it should be cautiously used in pools with high calcium amounts.
Lithium hypochlorite is ideal for pools with high calcium content. Though more expensive compared to calcium hypochlorite, lithium hypochlorite does not need dissolving before its use. It contains about 35% chlorine and suitable for use after dusk. Your pool will be safe after about eight hours of its application. Lithium hypochlorite is also quite toxic to aquatic life and, therefore, often used for treating pools with algae.
Dichloroisocyanuric acid, or simply known as dichlor, contains 50 to 60% chlorine. Dichlor is used in regular doses for pool cleaning and higher doses for shocking a swimming pool. It is also used after dusk and will take eight hours before the pool is safe for use.
Potassium peroxymonosulfate is a non-chlorine pool shocking agent. It is the best choice for those who want to use their swimming pools immediately. You can add this agent to your pool anytime and will only take fifteen minutes before the pool is safe for a swim. It, however, will not suffice for getting rid of algae because it contains no chlorine.
With the products above, your swimming pool will be clean and have balanced chemicals. You can take a dip, knowing you would not end up with strange skin or respiratory conditions. Keep in mind that a professional pool cleaner will conduct several tests on your pool water before adding any of these chemicals, so they do not worsen the imbalance.