A pipe bending machine can be used in a variety of functions. A Baileigh pipe bending machine, for example, can be used to bend pipes used in automotive. Due to its important function, the pipe bender must be in good condition. Good thing, there are ways to optimize it. Here are some of those:
- Bending pipes require extra care. At first, you need to secure the pipes on one end when placing them together in the bender. Bend the pipe at the right angle by finding the center. You can use that as the ‘base point’ then measure the pipe’s length. By doing so, you will find the spot where you need to make a bend.
- Practice before the actual bending process to ensure that you’re bending properly. As with any procedure, you become rusty when you don’t have practice. You can practice with spare pieces first then start processing once you feel confident about it.
- Overbending the pipe is a must. This is because it’s common for newly bent pipes to ‘spring back a little.’ You don’t want this from happening so be sure to give a few degrees leeway for overbending the pipes. To be sure, try testing on different materials that have different sizes too. This way, you can calculate how much you need to overbend.
- There are times when the bend die tube moves direction. That’s why it’s important that it’s resting on the ram. Make sure the roller shafts are functioning well, too. Aside from that, see to it that you handle the bending machine with care in the process of bending.
- In the case of a damaged bender, have it repaired before using it again. Clean the bender when not in use. Aside from that, put in a ‘dry location.’ Most of all, don’t let an unauthorized person use it.
- When it comes to loading, some machines don’t have an ‘automatic loading’ function. If the machine doesn’t have that function, someone has to put the materials onto the machine manually. The process includes putting the pipe into the mandrel (for mandrel bending). This is not that simple, but it can be done.
- Pipes that aren’t straight are harder to process. During mandrel bending, you will need to push the pipes that are difficult to process. You need to put this into the mandrel. Don’t worry, though, because you just need to have a locator, which will be placed at the end of the tube. You can start the bending process after doing so.
- Some other factors that affect bending pipes include welded pipes. If the pipes you’re going to bend are welded, put the ‘weld seam on neutral axis.’ The process will be a challenge because of the weld slag found in the tube. If using a mandrel, you can cut the pipe on a ‘neutral axis.’ This lets the pipe slide into the mandrel.
A pipe bending job is tough because of the complexity it brings. But, by being keen on its functions, you’ll have an easier time operating it. Don’t forget the optimization techniques to ensure that it will function well.