To successfully grow your home improvement business, you should think as a builder and a business owner. You should know the proper techniques to produce high-quality work and the most effective ways to gain your clients’ trust. Here are some effective ways to give careful thought to how to get your business to the next level:
Have a Clear Vision
You should know how you plan to grow and be strategic about it. For instance, you can specialize in specific home improvement aspects such as insulated roof installation, solar roofing, or LEED-certified renovations. These services are in-demand with most homeowners nowadays, and specializing will help set your business apart in a saturated market, and specialists tend to be more trustworthy than generalists.
Invest in Word of Mouth
Word of mouth advertising is advantageous in almost any business because it can’t be bought. Instead of investing in an online campaign, you make a significant investment by striving to achieve a high-quality job, treating a customer well, and responding to any challenge with confidence. Here are other advantages of word of mouth advertising:
- Word of mouth is viral as it spreads quickly once a person tells another, then that person tells their friends. When more people are updated with the latest news, they tend to spread them exponentially to their friends and family.
- It’s cheaper compared to web-based marketing and newspaper placements.
- Word of mouth is more reliable as it comes from a trusted source such as your spouse, co-worker, friend, or neighbor. For instance, you’re more likely to watch a movie that’s recommended by your friend than a review you see online because it’s more credible.
- It’s also considered “sticky”, which means you’re more likely to remember a recommendation made by a friend than an ad that you’ve seen on the TV. This is because friends usually share good news and TV and print ads tend to have a different agenda as they sell something without knowing much about the consumer.
Seek Out New Opportunities
You can generate many opportunities by connecting with more people in your area. Reach out with contractors, homeowners, and architects because networking with professionals and a good customer base will help you serve better and promote each other’s services. The more you reach out, the greater possibilities you make for yourself.
Build a Great Team of People
As your business grows, you won’t be able to do everything by yourself anymore. It’s important to hire people who will be able to do the things you hired them to do. If you’re confident to hire them, then you should be confident in their ability to accomplish great work. Explain to them your expectations and avoid micromanaging to effectively grow your business and show them that you have confidence in their talents.
Here are some tips to build a great team:
- Encourage communication to have an honest, open, and collaborative team. Create a culture where team members and managers are consistently communicating to make everyone feel involved and to build a greater sense of trust. There are many forms of communication you can use such as video calls, emails, and chat apps that help team members create and share a productive workflow.
- Identify roles that are based on what your business needs. Make sure to think of what you need before hiring and go through an effective selection process to find people who will truly fit your business needs and will bring long-term benefits to your processes.
- Make sure to set clear goals for your teams and the whole business to give a sense of purpose to your teams and a benchmark for their performance. Make sure they are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-bound) goals that are aimed at strategy and results, rather than individual tasks. When you have clear outlines of your goals, your team will be more motivated to aim for quality work.
- Once you have identified and created roles, you need to make sure that you value every single individual and role within the business. Keep in mind that everyone makes an impact on your business’s success, so you should ensure that each employee feels that their job matters. A sense of purpose will help boost your employees’ performance and make them a part of the bigger picture.
Your business has a lot of opportunities ahead, so you should follow these strategies to make sure you keep going until you are able to achieve your business goals. If you’re motivated enough to create a strong team, seek new opportunities, and advertise your business, you’re on your way to improving your hard-earned business.